Wat Arun Ratchawararam Ratchawaramahawihan or Wat Arun (Temple of dawn) had existed since the time of the Ayutthaya Kingdom. It was then known as Wat Makok or Wat Chaeng until the reign of King Rama II has renamed to "Wat Arun"
According to the historian Prince Damrong Rajanuphab, the temple was shown in French maps during the reign of King Narai (1656–1688).
The distinctive architecture of Wat Arun is Phra Prang, large Khmer Pagoda configuration composed of the grand Phra Prang and another 4 smaller Phra Prangs around the corners.
Phra Prang at Wat Arun always restored because the original was built from the Sukhothai period, which is only 16 meters in height. Until the reign of King Rama II (1809–1824), who had the temple restored and the main pagoda raised to 70m. The work was finished during the reign of King Rama III (1824–1851).
Phra Prang has always been restored until the reign of King Rama V rebuilt the grand Phra Prang with brick and mortar adorned with pieces of shells glazed tiles, Benjarong bowls are different colors of flowers, leaves and other designs, most of which are from China. In addition, there are decorated with sculptures of Kinnaree, Giant, Angel and Garuda.
The last restoration takes time from the end of September 2013 to the end of August 2017. The total restoration period is about 5 years and it will have a great ceremony at Wat Arun on December 27, 2017 - January 5, 2018.
Pictures of Wat Arun, Bangkok Thailand at the end of August 2017
Angel and Kinnaree Sculptures decorated on Phra Prang.
Giant sculptures are decorated on Phra Prang.
The Buddha Statue is enshrined on Phra Prang.
The Buddha Statue is enshrined below Phra Prang.
The Eastern Chapel and Giant Sculpture, Rattanakarn (Green) and Sahasadecha (White), who are guarding the arch.
Statue of King Rama II
Phra Prang by the Choa Phraya River
Sunset at Wat Arun.
Wat Arun in the evening.
How to go : Shuttle boat across Chao Phraya River from Tha Tien 3 Baht
Opening hours : 8.30 - 17.00
Thank you information from wikipedia
Follow us :